16 December 2007

The homeless finding a home in my heart.

"for I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;I was naked and you clothed me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me." Matthew 25:35-36

She wore a Giant bag on
her hair and another over each of her feet. Her layered clothes, missing tooth, big eyes, and rough sarcasm were there to meet me on Willow street in Harrisburg tonight. Her name is Mrs. Johnson. She was one of the many who we visited tonight with Bethesda's Mobile Ministry. Blankets, hoodies, socks, and jackets were given out as needed. The coffee was hot, powered creamer to follow, and hot water was used to make the ramen noodles to give out as hot soup. Lunch bags of goodies filled their arms and bottled water was a treat.

The seventy year old woman swears she's married to Mr. Johnson, yes the former president, as she then changes to says she is Laura Bush. Even talking to the other homeless, it seems some just lose their minds in the twisted world of poverty. Another younger girl a
bout my age is on her 6th child and the kids are living with their daddies. Her one child's name is Emily and cannot remember how she spells her name until she lifts up her arm where a pooh-bear has her child's name written on it. How can you heart not break. Love looks like something. Mrs. Johnson was on her third cup of coffee and a big smile when we left her.

"Thank you Lord," continued to come out of Larry's joyful yet broken heart. His bearded face, loss of hearing, runny nose, and stained jacket were evidence to him being on the street for quite a long time. He played the most beautiful Christmas songs on the harmonica as he says God really likes it as he says it does something special for him inside. As Larry began to tell me his story my heart wanted to whale yet there was so much joy that came out that it was could only be expressed in laughs and love. He began to cry and told me he does not think he's going to make it. The cold was pressing in my lungs and the rain turned to ice as it hit the ground. When he cannot hear what I say he says, "Yeah, the Lord is shining down on us." We were sent off by an oldies song passionately sung by Larry that night.

I struggle to understand why all this happens. I can take a spiritual and economical stand on why people are homeless but why are they still homeless? What about Larry who loves Jesus yet he's been on the streets for over 15 years? God do you remember him? Of course He does but I still struggle to understand poverty and why it seems that most of the world is cursed with living without the bare essentials. Then again, who are they serving? I don't know. Tonight was the first time I saw the US in a fragile state; a state that is so contradictory to what we stand for, freedom. How many are locked into bondages of running in circles and dieing from it? Is this truly the land of the free and home of the brave? Oh God heal our land! I knew in my head the needs and desperation of our nation but tonight now I know know it in my heart.

In the bitter cold Larry warmed my heart. Look where he is yet he is still thanking Jesus. I can be honest and say I don't know how strong I could be to thank you for that many years and still be on the streets. Challenging. I felt like I was in Mozambique again, a feeling that I have longed for since leaving. I was alive again! I was created to love the poor and the poor I will love.
This is who I am. The greatest thing is that despite the darkness which is engulfing the lives of many, "the Lord is still shining down on us."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you love the poor, you love their Father and make Him oh, so happy! Thank you for being the hands and feet and mouth and face of Jesus to these beloved treasures, Emilie. The few times I was out with them in Harrisburg, I was also grieved and full of unanswered questions and an unknown "knowing" that there is a real solution in the heart of God to care for and fully restore these precious ones to the Father. May He help us in this generation to raise up the homeless and outcasts as mighty men and women of valor in His kingdom.

Now I know I really "blew it" last night...a friend called and asked me to ride along to Bethesda and I was tired and a little depressed and said "no". Father, forgive me!

Gary

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
Iam glad for what the Lord is doing through you reaching the homeless in Harrisburg! Keep it up girl.I have a vision seeing you doing mighty spiritual work in that area and within the next year the Lord will bless you abundantly and open up more space totake in the homelessI will keep you in my prayers.
James

Beautiful Grace said...

Dear Resting One,

Your heart of love and compassion is beautiful in the sight of God!!!

Many homeless remain homeless because of bondages...not only of poverty, but mental illnesses, substance adictions, etc.

I remember a man from nursing school who had been homeless. He was holding a glass jar of baby food (no doubt his food) when he punched a telephone pole, because he was angry. You see, he was being tormented by others around him due to his mental illness, paranoid schizophrenia.

He ended up in the hospital pyschiatric ward due to severe lacerations on his hand, and also for monitoring, because he was considered a danger to himself and others.

Talking to him was difficult at first, because he kept looking past me and behind him as though someone would jump him any moment.

After a few days with him, he began to trust me. He made me a Popsicle stick rocking chair as a gift.

I will NEVER forget this gentle man...one forsaken and scorned by the world yet, one who responded to love.

May the God of mercy and loving kindness overflow you!!! May His power, the power to speak to demonic strongholds, flow through you like a mightly torrent, may His angels guard your every step.

While praying this past week, I felt like the Lord showed me His intentions for our region. As His people go out into the world, they being soaked in all that His is, will walk leaving footprints behind. These footprints will be filled in with stones of rememberance. These stones will be so saturated with His glory that ANYONE passing by them with be healed, delivered, saved!!!

Dearest Resting One, keep on stepping, the glory stones are left behind. We will see the manifestation of His goodness in our region!!!

Your sister in Jesus, Beautiful Grace :)