26 March 2008

This is a place I call home.

Harrisburg. My heart feels overwhelmed and burdened by the oppression of many things. People are living with a void and it is ruining their lives. Starving for anything, a meager portion, that will temporarily fulfill the cravings of a heart that struggles to be satisfied. The pleasures of this world are nothing. I speak about both believers and nonbelievers. For who can compare anything to the love of Jesus Christ.

The kids are cussing, smoking, mothers yelling, and I see a 5am drug deal go down on the corner of my street. Trash fills the park, the street, people's front steps, and shattered glass creates a mosaic on the side walks. No one seems to care. To endless dogs barking, the car alarms, and loud music roaring with those cheap bass systems, nothing seems to bother anyone here. The pregnant girls walk down the streets looking like they want to have yet another child by their attitude and dress. The countless boarded up homes and decaying buildings reflect the hearts of those who inhabit this this area. My city is in a vicious cycle that will soon spiral to death unless something is done. The spirit of poverty is greatly welcomed here. No chance to get ahead, or get off welfare, or even dare to dream. The darkness is thick but there is hope.

This is a place I call home. The need here is so great yet I am so little. I'm reminded that I serve such a big God. I'm comforted knowing what God can do to change nations through people like Martin Luther King Jr., Einstein, Lincoln, F.D. Roosevelt, and Mother Theresa to name a few. Should I dare dream that God would use me in such a great capacity as this? I look up at the deep night sky and see the beautiful stars glisten as the city calms down and takes its place in rest on this Wednesday night. A glistening star catches my eyes and I laugh out loud as I hear the Holy Spirit say, "That's you my love." I'm just a little light in the darkness, or so it seems from this point of view on Earth.

At the capital of our state, in the ghetto of Allison Hill, on a small street that isn't even given a big street sign, lives a girl with big dreams. Dreams starting with a small hope to change just one life, then maybe a family, then an entire street, a city, a country, then nations. I mean why not? What else better do I have to do than to dream? Worry my life away, be comfortable, do the same old routine day in and day out? I refuse to live in fear and live in faith. What's the worst that could happen? Jesus is coming back through His bride before He returns. I want to be that virgin waiting with her lamp filled. As my spirit dreams off on loving the untouchables and loving the prostitutes of India, I am brought back to the now of life, living in a place no normal person would choose to live. This is my home and I love it.

I have a dream to see my street without trash, cussing, drugs, and weapons. I will not allow it. Like Bishop Garlington says, "Nothing happens in the Kingdom until something is said." There will be no trash, cussing, drugs, weapons, adultery and no demonic activity on my street. Seems like a lot huh? Yeah, I thought so too. I pray the Lord takes this mustard seed sized heart and uses it mightily so the name of Jesus is glorified. Even though we see ourselves as a small star in the sky, I know God sees us as so much greater. We don't reflect light, we give light, because the Light is in us. I believe God sees us as the greatest star in the solar system, the sun. We cannot even begin to imagine the potential we have in the Kingdom. The rest of the universe revolves around the sun, and I know the rest of the world revolves around us, because Christ is in us, Praise the Lord.

It's so much quieter now, almost too quiet. Maybe I won't have to use my heater fan tonight to drown out the noise. I hope I have a restful night tonight, that really would be nice. The silence is broken by a car driving up the road rattling with the bass in its trunk. I don't understand it because sounds like bad music to me. I guess I have a lot to learn about the culture here. It's been about 1.5 weeks since I moved here and I'm already asking the Lord to enlarge my heart so more of Him can rest in me.

Revival is coming to Harrisburg. Or dare I dream bigger and say a revolution. I pray more suns into the city. We are world changers. We just have to believe it.

7 comments:

Allison Hill Dweller said...

Hurray! Welcome to the neighborhood! If you are interested, you should come to our Homeowner/Resident's Association meetings... next one's April 16th, 5:30pm at the Derry St United Methodist Church in the 1500 block of Derry St. We'll feed you and you can meet more "normal" people who are trying to make a difference in South Allison Hill :-) Also, I'm not sure where you attend church, but if you want to visit ours (New Hope Community Church) I'll get you info. It's exciting to see people who want to make a difference (especially for Christ) come in and move into the neighborhood.

Beautiful Grace said...

Yeah, You lood good sitting on your house steps!!! One by one, take the neighborhood for Jesus!!! Blessings!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Papa is so very, very proud of His beloved little girl who is taking His heart to those who have no clue what it's like to be loved. May His grace sustain you in every situation and may He help you daily roll all your worries and cares onto His shoulders.
Peace, rest, and abundant joy to you!

love ya,

G

Anonymous said...

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

And may your message and your preaching not be in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power.

Leah and I Bless You!!!

Your Brother in Christ
Ray

Love much... said...

I am so excited for you dear! I will continue praying for you!!

Livin' Life said...

Such a great heart. I am yerning to see a great transformation with in our region. Even though I am across the river I am too tired of seeing the lonely, abused and lost. I want to see the people of our region set free and living free with Jesus.

I will be praying for you.

Beautiful Grace said...

Dear Love, I have nominated you for the "I Love Your Blog" Award. Check out my latest post. Have a fantastic God-day!